Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Project Zero: Injecting Code into Windows Protected Processes using COM - Part 1
Information 
[Image: dDW55mQLL7GDzFcHGMyI3qjy5bW9Ys2dfOZk3-lP...mWShBVG4ON]
Quote:At Recon Montreal 2018 I presented “Unknown Known DLLs and other Code Integrity Trust Violations” with Alex Ionescu. We described the implementation of Microsoft Windows’ Code Integrity mechanisms and how Microsoft implemented Protected Processes (PP). As part of that I demonstrated various ways of bypassing Protected Process Light (PPL), some requiring administrator privileges, others not.

In this blog I’m going to describe the process I went through to discover a way of injecting code into a PPL on Windows 10 1803. As the only issue Microsoft considered to be violating a defended security boundary has now been fixed I can discuss the exploit in more detail.

Background on Windows Protected Processes

The origins of the Windows Protected Process (PP) model stretch back to
Vista where it was introduced to protect DRM processes. The protected process model was heavily restricted, limiting loaded DLLs to a subset of code installed with the operating system. Also for an executable to be considered eligible to be started protected it must be signed with a specific Microsoft certificate which is embedded in the binary. One protection that the kernel enforced is that a non-protected process couldn’t open a handle to a protected process with enough rights to inject arbitrary code or read memory.
Full reading: https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2...ected.html
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to harlan4096 for this post:
  • Der.Reisende, silversurfer