Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We're Baking Have I Been Pwned into Firefox and 1Password
Information 
Quote:Pretty much every day, I get a reminder from someone about how little people know about their exposure in data breaches. Often, it's after someone has searched Have I Been Pwned (HIBP) and found themselves pwned somewhere or other. Frequently, it's some long-forgotten site they haven't even thought about in years and also frequently, the first people know of these incidents is via HIBP.

2 million is more than I ever expected, if I'm honest, but it's also only a tiny, tiny drop in the ocean. Of the 5.1 billion records that are in HIBP today, there's 3.1B unique email addresses. I'm reaching 0.06% of them via the notification service and not a whole lot more in terms of people coming to the site and doing an ad hoc search (usually 100k - 200k people a day). Don't get me wrong - I'm enormously happy and personally fulfilled by having been able to do even this - but clearly, I'm barely scratching the surface. However, that scope is about to expand dramatically via 2 new partnerships which I'm announcing today, starting with Firefox.

Mozilla and Firefox Monitor

Last November, there was much press about Mozilla integrating HIBP into Firefox. I was a bit surprised at the time as it was nothing more than their Breach Alerts feature which simply highlighted if the site being visited had previously been in a data breach (it draws this from the freely accessible breach API on HIBP). But the press picked up on some signals which indicated that in the long term, we had bigger plans than that and the whole thing got a heap of very positive attention. I ended up fielding a heap of media calls just on that one little feature - people loved the idea of HIBP in Firefox, even in a very simple form.

As it turns out, we had much bigger plans and that's what I'm sharing here today.

Over the coming weeks, Mozilla will begin trialling integration between HIBP and Firefox to make breach data searchable via a new tool called "Firefox Monitor".

Here's what it looks like:

[Image: Firefox-Monitor-Website---General-Homepage-1.png]

This is major because Firefox has an install base of hundreds of millions of people which significantly expands the audience that can be reached once this feature rolls out to the mainstream. You can read Mozilla's announcement of the new feature and how they plan to conduct the testing and rollout.

I'm really happy to see Firefox integrating with HIBP in this fashion, not just to get it in front of as many people as possible, but because I have a great deal of respect for their contributions to the technology community. In particular, Mozilla was instrumental in the birth of Let's Encrypt, the free and open certificate authority that's massively increased the adoption of HTTPS on the web. Arguably, the work done by Mozilla's Josh Aas and Eric Rescorla (still the Mozilla CTO today) has been one of the greatest contributions to online privacy and security we've seen and Mozilla remains a platinum sponsor to this day. They've also been instrumental in helping define the model which HIBP uses to feed them data without Mozilla disclosing the email addresses being searched for. I'm going to talk more about the mechanics of that model in a moment but first, let me talk about 1Password.

1Password

My relationship with 1Password stretches all the way back to 2011 when I came to the realisation that the only secure password is the one you can't remember. Over the last 7 years, I've continued to buy their product and use it every single day across all my devices and my entire family's devices. In February, only the day after I launched Pwned Passwords V2, 1Password turned around and built it into their product so that users of the password manager could see if their password had been previously exposed in a breach. That effort was a large factor in my choosing 1Password to partner with HIBP back in March and since that time, they've built Pwned Passwords into the desktop apps for Mac and Windows and provided the ability to check all your passwords in one single go. But today, we're announcing something much bigger:

As of now, you can search HIBP from directly within 1Password via the Watchtower feature in the web version of the product.
Continue Reading
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to harlan4096 for this post:
  â€˘ ismail