Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PS3 Players Ban: Latest Victims of Surging Attacks on Gaming Industry
Information 
Quote:A reported breach of a Sony folder containing the serial ID numbers for every PlayStation 3 console appears to have led to users being inexplicably banned from the platform. This is just the latest in a shocking spike in attacks on unsuspecting gamers.

Sony reportedly left a folder with every PS3 console ID online unsecured, and it was discovered and reported by a Spanish YouTuber with the handle “The WizWiki” in mid-April. Sony is depicted in his reveal video as the hind end of a rhinoceros defecating, for a general idea of the reaction posted on April 18 for non-Spanish speakers.

Now, several weeks later, players on PlayStation Network message boards are complaining that they can’t sign on and are receiving the error message 8071006. After enabling two-factor authentication (2FA), one player was able to sign back in without issue, according to posts on the PS3 subreddit, which includes a link to instructions on how to opt into 2FA on the PS3.

It appears threat actors have started using the stolen PS3 console IDs for malicious purposes, causing the legitimate players to get banned.

Another player on the PSNProfies forum put the stolen PS3 IDs and the ban together back on June 18.

“This has just happened to me now, tried to sign in and it says the console has being banned or temporarily suspended,” the user wrote. “My account is fine, I can log in on my other PS3, but my main PS3 has got a ban. I signed in fine about 2 hours ago and all I did was use Netflix.”

Read more: PS3 Players Ban: Latest Victims of Surging Attacks on Gaming Industry | Threatpost
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to silversurfer for this post:
  • harlan4096