Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Microsoft updates list of deprecated Windows 10 features : goodbye My People (Novembe
Information 
Quote:Microsoft has updated the list of features and technologies that it is no longer developing after the release of Windows 10 version 1909 in November 2019.

Windows 10 is an operating system that is constantly in development. Microsoft releases two feature updates per year and these feature updates introduce new features and may also remove or deprecate some features for a variety of reasons including security issues, better options, or a change in strategy.

You can check out our articles on removed and deprecated features in previous versions of Windows 10 here:

Windows 10 version 1903: removed and deprecated features
Windows 10 version 1809: removed and deprecated features
Windows 10 version 1803: removed or deprecated features

Windows 10 version 1909: deprecated features

The list of features that Microsoft is no longer developing was updated on November 12, 2019. The list contains five new items and the most prominent one from a user perspective is probably the deprecation of My People.

My People was introduced in Insider Builds in late 2017. Microsoft placed a new icon in the taskbar on Windows 10 devices that allowed users to pin up to three contacts to the taskbar for quick access. In late 2018, we asked whether Microsoft was about to remove My People from Windows 10 again and it appears that the rumors were true in that regard as My People has been put on the deprecation list.

It lists the following features as deprecated:

Hyper-V vSwitch on LBFO -- Microsoft recommended to bound the Hyper-V vSwitch via Switch Embedded Teaming once the feature is removed.

Language Community tab in Feedback Hub -- Users who provided language feedback are encouraged to provide feedback using the standard feedback process.

My People / People in the Shell -- No longer being developed.

TFS1/TFS2 IME -- Will be replaced by TSF3 IME in the future. TSF (Test Services Framework) enables language technologies, TSF IME can be used to type text in Japanese, Chinese, and Korean languages.

Package State Roaming (PSR) -- "PSR will be removed in a future update. PSR allows non-Microsoft developers to access roaming data on devices, enabling developers of UWP applications to write data to Windows and synchronize it to other instantiations of Windows for that user.".

Now You: have you used any of these features in the past? Any feature that you'd like to see deprecated or brought back from deprecation?
Continue Reading
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to harlan4096 for this post:
  • silversurfer