Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Intel Core i5-10600K Review: The Mainstream Gaming Champ
Lightbulb 
Quote:
[Image: cRnfbDP6hKhDmExkw4D6XH-1200-80.jpg]

Six cores and 12 threads serve up a gaming stunner.

Quote:Our Verdict

For gamers looking for the edge of performance, and enthusiasts who like to tune their processors without expensive supporting components, the Core i5-10600K slips in as the new mainstream champ.

For
  • Lower per-thread pricing
  • Leading gaming performance
  • Strong in single- and multi-threaded workloads
  • Overclocking headroom
  • Relatively easy to cool
Against
  • PCIe 3.0
  • No bundled cooler
  • Requires new motherboard

Intel's Comet Lake recently crashed into the market with the beastly $488 Core i9-10900K leading the charge, showing us that its aging Skylake architecture and hyper-refined 14nm++ process still has the gumption to keep the company's gaming performance crown. But the ten-core 20-thread processor brought some baggage along with it, like high power consumption that requires exotic accommodations to get the best performance possible, pricing it out of consideration for the majority of enthusiasts. 

However, Intel's clever price trimming on its Core i5 series, which comes via the addition of Hyper-Threading at no extra cost, has always looked like a possible addition to our Best CPUs for gaming list. After our testing, the $262 Core i5-10600K delivers and is just as impressive as you would expect from a six-core 12-thread Comet Lake processor clocked at a 4.1 GHz base and 4.8 GHz boost. Intel also offers the chip for $237 if you grab the graphics-less KF model. 

In either case, the 10600K comes with more threads than the previous-gen Core i7 models, so the implication is clear: You get the lion's share of the performance of last year's $370 Core i7-9700K, but for $267/$234 with the Core i5-10600K. 

Intel's pricing puts AMD's ~$245 Ryzen 5 3600X squarely in the crosshairs. While the ~$175 Ryzen 5 3600 is still tempting with its six cores and 12 threads, Intel hopes the 10600K's gaming supremacy, not to mention overclocking prowess, persuades enthusiasts to drop the cash on a new LGA1200 platform to support the chip. 

And Intel's Core i5 series could definitely use some help -- the third-gen Ryzen processors, for all of their headline-stealing high core counts in the higher-end models, did the most damage in Intel's mid-range due to their superior value and ultra-competitive gaming performance. The Core i5 and Ryzen 5 segments comprise the bulk of sales to the ever-growing cadre of gamers and enthusiasts looking for the best bang for the buck, so success here is key. 

The Core i5-10600K's combination of a higher thread count at similar pricing to the previous-gen, high stock clock frequencies, palatable power consumption, and agile overclockability cooks up a winner for the gaming and enthusiast crowds. Intel even reduced the gap in threaded workloads like productivity tasks. For gamers looking for the edge of performance and enthusiasts who like to tune their processors without hideously-priced supporting components, the Core i5-10600K slots in as the new mainstream champ. 
Continue Reading
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to harlan4096 for this post:
  • ismail